If you’re done with over priced eggy mayo ‘tato salad this one is a must. Especially with summer coming up, the fresh taste of this potato salad is ideal for a braai on a hot summer’s day.
Before we go any further, this recipe is not mine, although I made it my own with a few things, I first found it on Thug’s Kitchen (love thug’s no nonsense approach to healthy food!).
Back to the potato salad, here’s what you need for a salad for about 4 people –
- 2-3 big potatoes skin on chopped into bite size pieces
- 1-2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 tspn dried dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 a tspn whole grain mustard
- 1/2 a tspn Dijon mustard (if you don’t have both mustards 1 teaspoon of the one you have will be fine)
- 3 tbsp white wine or white grape vinegar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 red onion chopped
- Handful of fresh parsley chopped
- Handful of chives chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and grated
Here’s what to do –
- Boil the potatoes in water with a pinch of salt until just soft (don’t overboil so they disintegrate)
- While the potatoes are boiling, in a medium sized serving bowl, add your onion and grated carrots.
- Mix all the rest of the ingredients in a small jug or mug
- Once the potatoes are soft, drain.
- Immediately while still hot add potatoes to your serving bowl
- Mix the salad dressing in and mix it up, careful not to mush the potatoes
Leave in the fridge for a while so all the flavours can mix.